Sunday, August 21, 2011

There Are No Guarantees

Did I know I would find success as a photographer when I jumped into this field?

Hell no.

But like any major decision, e.g. getting married, having children, buying a house, etc... there simply are no guarantees.

The best you can do is perform your due diligence and hope for the best. The rest is up to Lady Luck.

Of course, hard work, perseverance, and a little bit of talent don't hurt your odds.

I say this because I know many of you are thinking about leaving your 9-to-5 jobs and dream of pursuing a career in fashion photography. Or you're already moonlighting as a fashion photographer on the weekends. But you're scared to completely jump ship into the wonderful world of fashion for fear of financial instability.

Your fears are well-founded. Which is to say, "You should be scared"

Because most fashion photographers can't make enough to support themselves full-time and either quit or get a part-time job to support themselves. To this day, I'm still a little surprised I "made" it given the odds. Historically when people are willing to do something for free, you'll find it difficult getting paid for the same thing.

So no, there are no guarantees. In fact, there's a high likelihood that you'll fail.

So what is there to look forward to then? ;) I'll talk a little about this in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment