Thursday, February 17, 2011

Confession: Photogenic?

I have a confession. I can not tell you if a model is photogenic until after I see her images on either camera-back or on-screen.

WTF, right?

I know!

In fact, I think I'm more confused than ever. There are times when I meet a model and she is strikingly beautiful but yet falls flat in the images. Then there are days when I'm not impressed by the model's looks as she walks through the door but when I see the images, I'm floored.

Yes, I know this is normal. But as it happens more and more often to me, I feel totally caught off guard. You'd think that after all this time I'd develop some vision for how they'd photograph. But no.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

3 comments:

  1. Yep... I have to agree with you on this one. I've met some absolutely incredibly beautiful women, photograph them, and they are blah. Pretty, but blah, you know? Makes me wonder if they are really pretty, or just have an aura.

    And then, like you said, some beautiful but not necessarily over the top model who translates incredibly in camera. I don't quite get it either. But it does make me re-evaluate my model selection a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's probably the take-away of the week, I have to re-evaluate the model-selection process. I used to look at the polaroids. But I don't think it's important anymore. I don't care what they look like without makeup...

    I care what they look like WITH makeup, on the set, in wardrobe, posing, in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is more the models fault. They have to know how to pose and be comfortable with their bodies first of all. That's nearly impossible to tell until you shoot with them and experience first hand.

    ReplyDelete