Friday, December 24, 2010

A year in the making... and coming full circle.

About this time a year ago, I was building walls and stairs. Since then, I've added a few more props to the studio.

This time last year, I was still shooting from home. I hadn't yet signed the lease to the studio. Right now I'm fighting leaks and debating whether or not to stay in that space any longer.

This time last year I was still seeing through a technical lens. Today, I'm free of that. Trying to forge ahead to images beyond the fundamental principles of photography.

This time last year I was shooting with only the D3. Since then I've shot with the iPhone, Hasselblad H3DII-31, Mamiya AFDII, as well as the D3.

With all of the growth that has occurred over the last year, it's also nice to see some things come full circle...

As a big fan of LOST, I found the series-ending final scene with Jack Shephard closing his eyes, to be the perfect ending to LOST which began 6 years ago with Jack Shephard opening his eyes in the first scene. I'm a sucker for that kind of storytelling.

This year, I've come full circle back to the D3 for its speed and simplicity for shoots/sets that require the kind of action-stopping performance that is only possible with the better digital 35mm SLRs.

In the next week I'll be shooting two of my favorite models Brett and Anneliese. While I haven't seen Anneliese since January it feels perfect that we end exactly where we started almost a whole year ago. But of course, this time it will be different ;)

A year ago I got into color management and acquired a Eizo CG-243W. As of 2 days ago I finished printing a large stock of my favorite images for my studio as well as my print portfolio. This process of learning how to print included experimenting and calibrating the printer with specific paper stock. None of which would have been possible without proper color management techniques. Did it drive me absolutely nuts? Yes. But I feel like my prints are finally what I'm seeing on my displays.

Here's to a solid year of growth. I hope 2011 provides just as much if not more excitement, growth and prosperity :)

No comments:

Post a Comment