Thursday, March 25, 2010

Millions of brushstrokes later...

My Wacom Intuos4 tablet is acting funky. I mean it's not the first time it's acted funky. Here's the shortlist of issues with it:

1. Upon waking from sleep (MacBook), the tablet often needs to be unplugged and replugged (USB) in order to work properly. Otherwise the tablet doesn't "wake" with the computer
2. Sometimes the pen jitters for no reason. i.e. the pen cursor shakes though I'm not shaking it.
3. Sometimes the pen doesn't work properly and needs to be "removed" on the list of tools on the tablet in order to get it to work properly.

With all that being said the pen and the tablet (including the mouse) usually work flawlessly. Any issues can typically be resolved with a few setting resets... until today.

The pen is exhibiting an inability to register sensitivity consistently. It will register too little sensitivity and if you push it harder, it suddenly maxes out on sensitivity. Nothing happened to cause this. I did not drop it, I didn't move it. It was working fine and then suddenly I was getting no pressure sensitivity in PS CS4. It sometimes still works erratically but overall it's not working properly. I feel like it's the tablet and not the pen. The pen itself is passive. There's no power/batteries in the pen. The tablet itself is the "sensing" unit. There must be something wrong with the tablet.

I've only had it since June 18, 2009. I hope I don't have to get a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment