Friday, November 6, 2009

Kimberly Ann: Purple



I'll tell you what's driving me bonkers and it really has nothing to do with this picture. It just happens that I'm dealing with this issue at this particular juncture in my retouching career.

I can't resize with the proper crispness and clarity. Here are my options:

1. Allow Lightroom to do this upon exporting to flickr. This is what I usually do. When it exports from 4256 pixels to 1024 pixels, I also allow it to perform output sharpening... usually at the lowest setting
2a. Resize in PS CS4 using "bicubic sharper" upon resizing
2b. Resize in PS CS4 using a combination of Gaussian Blur, Bicubic (Standard), and then Resharpening with either USM, SS, or my preferred spatial frequency separation sharpening
2c. Resize in PS CS4 using a script that I found on MM

For what it's worth, Lr doesn't offer enough control over the sharpening/resizing process. It's too sharp

Bicubic sharper is too sharp as well, often over-pronouncing the effects of hard items like jewely.

2b. Is what I used for this image

2c. I've tried but couldn't really differentiate from 1. I'll admit it's really complicated and needs a little more practice.

And how much noise do I put back into the image after sharpening? The secret that I mentioned a while back is that I've been putting some element of noise somewhere between 1-5% depending on the size of the image. It provides texture that our minds need in order to latch on to something tangible/tactile via 2D space. In this image, I masked in just a little noise on the skin. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. Personally I think it's no secret but others would disagree I'm sure.

Otherwise, there's nothing special about this picture as far as post-processing is concerned. I really ought to talk about Kimberly's stellar performance as far as modeling is concerned. The elegant lines. Symmetrical too that are truly scientific yet artistic at the same time. Phenomenally long legs.

But alas, all I can think about is the shortcoming of my retouching process :(

Camera info: D3/24-70mm f/2.8G @48mm, f/8, 1/200th, ISO200

Strobist info: www.flickr.com/photos/cyeh01/4081431088/in/set-7215762153...

Model: Kimberly Ann Simone

Makeup: Kelli Zehnder

Wardrobe: Michelle Green


PS. I have another so-called "secret" that I'll "unveil" later on after a few more experiments...

No comments:

Post a Comment