Thursday, November 12, 2009

Kimberly Ann: Purple and Blues



It has occurred to me that what I think of as sharp is really not that sharp. I found this out yesterday when I cranked up Smart Sharpen at .25 pixels to 100%.

Alo and behold, the picture got sharp... maybe too sharp?

Oh and I have a new resize workflow. I don't like Lr's resize and output sharpening. It seems to offer me no control over the final product. Feels a little hit or miss to me. Might as well take over in PS and just do it right.

I also need to stop sharpening until I get to the end. I am currently sharpening twice because I always sharpen at the original resolution because I might make prints. Then at the web resolution I sharpen again although this is probably not good due to the fact that artifacts sometimes arise as a result of sharpening.

What is my new resolution resize technique? I think I've covered this before:

1. Gaussian Blur at .3*(deoninator of resize ratio) for example, if I were going to resize to 1000 pixels on the long end from 4255, it would be about 1/4th. So .3 (which is a constant) * 4 = 1.2

2. Resize to new resolution using bicubic (the regular one)

3. Apply sharpening and blend if necessary.

Really this is just the beginning of my workflow change. Originally I felt there wasn't much difference between Lr's output sharpening and this workflow above but now I'm starting to see that there is a difference and much more control.

What's special about Kimmy's picture?

I was originally shown a B&W version and then thought about a color version. Then I kinda settled in the middle and desaturated most of the colors and saturated the blues and purples for effect. I also added a little bit of noise into the skin after downsizing. Otherwise, it's a pretty straightforward image. I suppose. I experimented with output sharpening and downsizing all night with this picture though...

Camera info: D3/24-70mm f/2.8G @55mm, 1/200th, f/8.0, ISO200

Strobist info: See here.

Model: Kimberly Ann Simone

Makeup: Kelli Zehnder

Wardrobe: Michelle Green

No comments:

Post a Comment