Monday, November 9, 2009

Kimberly Ann: Framing 101



I don't know if you've noticed but Kimberly Ann (Kimmy) put on a modeling clinic during our shoot.

I called this one "Framing 101" because she really knows how to use her hands to frame her face. I learned tons about modeling just by shooting Kimmy last week.

This was an intermediate look between the first set (
Highlight Reel) and the second set (Purple). It's the wardrobe from Highlight Reel and the hair from Purple. This was supposed to be a beauty shot that became an expo on modeling and framing. Hey, when you're that good, I guess you're just that good.

I went traditional on the beauty retouch but tried to leave in as much of her original pores as possible to retain the natural quality of the image, but the perfectionist in me always goes crazy with the healing brush. That said, Kimmy has great skin and it was not difficult to retouch her skin as I've done much more difficult retouches on skin.

I almost made this image B&W but my brother talked me out of it.

What's special about this image? It's a horizontal crop in 5x7 of a vertically shot image. Her shirt just doesn't add value to the image whereas her hands/arms do add value to the shot. You know to be honest with you, this was a pretty lightly touched image by my standards. Lately however, I find that I've been doing lighter and lighter retouches. Stuff that's more subtle.

Camera info: D3/24-70mm f/2.8G @58mm, 1/200th, f/9.0, ISO200

Strobist info: AB800 hair/rimlight from camera front upper left. Main light is an AB800 in 22" beauty dish ungridded. from camera upper right. Another AB800 from camera left is attacking the white background providing backfill and blowing out the background.

Model: Kimberly Ann Simone

Makeup: Kelli Zehnder

Wardrobe: Michelle Green

No comments:

Post a Comment