Thursday, November 12, 2009

Kenna: Poolside



I wrote the post below because I couldn't decide how I wanted to put the finishing touches on the image. I decided to apply a gradient map with purple to orange and all the colors in between...

But I couldn't decide how much opacity to use.

No, there isn't a "right answer" but there is a "generally accepted" answer. For the most part, I think I seek to please the average (or slightly above average) Joe.

This was shot all ambient with a reflector from camera upper far left. It was placed far because it was blinding Kenna and making it hard for her to open her eyes. Yeah, reflectors do that. I wanted hard light but the springboard was out of reach of direct sunlight so we had to light somewhat artificially.

I made one big mistake with this shot though.

Originally I wanted to shoot across the landscape which was my backyard and thus I didn't want anything in the near distance to come into focus. Utilizing a shallow DoF, I shot Kenna at f/1.8

Well, my background was blurred alright... so was Kenna's eyes, most of the board, some of her clothes, etc. It's too shallow to be useful in my type of photography IMHO. If I could reshoot this, I would have chosen f/4.0 or smaller aperture. I had 1/800th shutter so there was plenty of light.

I think color balance, vibrance, gradient map were all key to this image being what it is. Oh and I used overlay blending for the gradient map at about 11% opacity ultimately in case you were wondering.

Anything else interesting about this picture? No, except that Kenna isn't wearing anything underneath that jacket. Ironically I picked one of the least provocative of the images :)

Camera: D3/85mm f/1.4D @f/1.8, 1/800th, ISO200

Strobist: Single silver reflector from camera far upper left.

Model: Kenna Cade

Makeup: Kelli Zehnder

Wardrobe: Kenna/Michelle Green

No comments:

Post a Comment