Thursday, November 12, 2009

Kenna: Ambient Reds



I've been wanting to do this concept for a while but the challenges still exist as they always did.

Shooting against a bright backlight creates a blown background and halo effects on the subject. Secondly, it's hard to expose the subject properly if you're only using ambient light. In retrospect, there was nothing preventing us from using a strobe to light her properly, but I wanted to shoot this ambient for the softness. I did use a reflector from camera left where I opened the door to allow more fill lighting and then bounced the light towards Kenna. That's why her skin is brighter on the left.

The only other thing different about this image is where I extended the curtains upwards in Photoshop to give me more space before the top appears. Also color balance was difficult on this picture because the sheer curtains provide a different color temp than the reflector. Also there's direct fill coming from behind the camera (mostly coming from the sky and through the trees). So it's a mish mosh of different color temperature light.

I played with output sharpening on this one too, just as I did with
Kimmy's Purple and Blues.

Oh and I shot this with the 85mm f/1.4D at 1.8 which doesn't give me much depth of field especially if I need to focus and recompose. Yeah, that doesn't work with shallow DoF. Oh and I used a tripod because it was 1/60th. Also I shot at ISO800, long live the D3!

Camera info: D3/85mm f/1.4D, 1/60th, f/1.8, ISO800

Strobist info: Reflector from camera front left (directly to Kenna's right).

Model: Kenna Cade

Makeup: Kelli Zehnder

Wardrobe: Michelle Green

No comments:

Post a Comment